Friday, May 29, 2015

John and Mike reach for Savannah

I decided to include some additional photos taken yesterday in Charleston





I also wanted to give credit to Mike for his incredible work, scheduling and photography during this trip





We limped out of Charleston, and Mike planned a route for us that kept us off the busy highways...the irony for the day, it turned out we made the best time on the highways as the roads got alot more friendly and the traffic was light.  Our off road, well was a bit rougher

He did find a great trail

But the road took us along two trails that were not maintained, of course we jumped the fence
I didn't get a picture of the second one which was covered with 4 inches of sand, and once our skinny tires hit and sank in, it was all over except the crying.   For the next half hour we walked and pushed our bikes thru the sand and the mosquitoes had a feast.  Adventure!

It was hot, and we drained our water bottles several times...lucky we found a busy highway and made it to our destination without incident except John's 5th flat tire...the good news, I  bought a spare tube in Charleston for $7, the bad news is that I left it at the restaurant with the $7 Margarita specials.   Mike patched the tube.

We rode 71 miles....and Savannah is only 45 miles off..I am torn with a happy and sad feeling of an adventure concluding.

A lady noticed my "I ride with Diabetes" jersey...pulled out a twenty and handed it to me.  Find a Cure, she said to me with tears in her eyes.
I inquired...and she said she had lost her mother to diabetes.

I hugged her


No comments:

Post a Comment