Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Storming to Virginia Beach

I don't always drink beer, my friends
But when I do
I drink Dos XX
Stay thirsty

We headed out of DC for  a 70 mile ride to Fredericksburg and while the ride was pretty uneventful it was somewhat level, we had fresh legs, my bike was fixed with the right gearing, so the riding was fast.

Mike and I discussed the trip planning and it became obvious that we had more miles to ride than the days allowed.  To finish in Savanah we would have to average 70 miles per day which was only possible with perfect weather and no miscues

The temperatue hit 102 degs, it began to rain, and we overshot our turn.
We ignored it....the rain felt good, the temperature dropped, and we reached Fredericksburg with enough time to tour the battlefield...this added another 15 miles and the rain came down in buckets.

Check out this photo Mike took:


We got an early start the next day with the intent of having a big ride and by 1pm we had ridden 60 miles.  Mike had suggested previously that something had to give and the temperature and humidity finally convinced me, so at 2 pm we rented a car and drove the last 100 miles to Virginia Beach.

Not only did we save 100 miles and two days on the schedule....we got in early to see the Delmonte kids and Kath.  I hope to see Marie tomorrow and have a nice dinner, we'll spend the day resting before tackling North Carolina's Outer Banks










2 comments: